Homestudy Course Sample Questions
Infant with Hyperbilirubinemia/Jaundice
1. Discuss these different types of newborn jaundices; when do they become evident, range of bilirubin for those types, typical course and treatment.
A. Physiological jaundice
B. Breastmilk jaundice
C. Pathological jaundice
D. Lack of breastfeeding jaundice
2. How do higher levels of bilirubin develop in a newborn?
3. List four incidences that can increase bilirubin levels in a newborn.
4. What is the danger of hyperbilirubinemia in a newborn?
A. What levels are considered dangerous?
B. How does the baby’s age impact the danger level?
C. Is there anything good about elevated bilirubin levels in newborn infants?
5. What are the current recommendations for treating physiological jaundice of the newborn?
6. How are bilirubin levels affected by giving the infant glucose water supplements?
7. What is the effect of frequent stooling on bilirubin levels?
A. What percentage of bilirubin is excreted in the infant’s stool? In its urine?
B. Approximately how much bilirubin is in the stool of a full term infant at the time of birth?
(1) What happens to this bilirubin if the infant does not start to stool within 8 hours?
8. What ethnic groups normally see higher bilirubin levels in their infants?
9. What maternal factors can contribute to this condition?
Return to Main Homestudy Page